MERCED COUNTY COMMUNITY ACTION AGENCY
1235 W. Main St., Merced, CA (209) 723-4565 FAX (209) 723-1543
WOMEN, INFANTS & CHILDREN (WIC)
NUTRITION & HEALTH PROGRAM
Under supervision of the Nutrition Education Coordinator, responsible for counseling of clients needing higher levels of nutritional intervention; participates in management activities of the Program; and does related work as required. This is a non-exempt position.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Determine WIC program eligibility through use of WIC Management Information System (WIC MIS)
- Provide direct client services to those in need of higher levels of nutritional intervention;
- Create individualized nutrition education plans for participants, including those at high nutritional risk, and electronically document summaries of appointments;
- Provide nutrition education to WIC participants, including those at high nutritional risk, in group and individual settings using adult learning theories;
- Prescribe and issue appropriate WIC food packages to participants;
- Provide counseling and support to breast-feeding mothers;
- Assist in staff supervision and training;
- Assist with the development of WIC class and outreach lesson plans and materials;
- Act as a liaison between clients and health care providers;
- Travel between work locations and occasionally travel outside of agency service area to attend regional and statewide meetings;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Nutrition or Dietetics or related field from an accredited college or university. Current valid registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Two years of counseling experience. Completion of a Dietetic Internship may be substituted for 1 year of counseling experience. Experience with low income, multicultural and multilingual populations, WIC and WIC MIS experience preferred.
- Normal therapeutic and community nutrition with emphasis on maternal, infant and child needs;
- Health promotion and disease prevention;
- Learner / adult centered learning theories as applied to nutrition and health instructional Materials;
- Breast-feeding benefits, physiology and procedures.
- Interact and communicate clearly and effectively in a professional manner, both orally and in writing;
- Work independently and cooperatively with staff and clients;
- Utilize strong organizational skills;
- Demonstrate computer literacy and familiarity with audiovisual equipment operation;
- Maintain strict confidentiality of participant, employee, and agency records;
- Bilingual: English / Hmong or English / Spanish preferred.
1. Valid California driver’s license, and proof of minimum California vehicle insurance or ability to obtain upon assuming position.
2. Work occasional Saturdays and evenings.
3. Ability to walk, stoop and squat as needed; be able to lift and carry in excess of 40 pounds on a regular basis and to sit as much as 75 % of scheduled time, performing fine motor manipulation skills such as keyboarding and writing.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE EMPLOYEE TO KEEP ALL
With CLC - Range: 74.0-1: $30.31/hrly
Without CLC - Range: 73.0-1:$28.86/hrly
40hrs/week + Benefits 1st of the month after 30 days of hire date
JOB SITE: MERCED
APPLY AT: MCCAA, 1235 W. Main St. Merced – APPLICATION, TRANSCRIPTS AND RESUME A MUST
DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
THIS IS NOT A COUNTY POSITION