The Behavioral Health Counselor will counsel individuals and groups on weight loss, eating, physical activity, and behavioral strategies to promote weight control. The position emphasizes working to promote healthy weight in the time surrounding pregnancy. Behavioral Health Counselor will assist with group and individual weight control counseling for Spanish and English speakers, and also contribute to other aspects of research, including recruitment, assessment, and retention.
Typical Essential Functions:
- Counsel participants and their families on effective weight control strategies, including healthy eating, activity, and behavioral strategies (self-monitoring and stimulus control)
- Deliver protocol-based group and individual weight control counseling sessions
- Assist in developing treatment materials for behavioral weight control programs
- Develop curriculum and prepare manuals, visual aids, session outlines and other materials used in teaching and training sessions
- Perform assessments of height, weight, blood pressure, dietary intake and other related research factors in adults, infants, and children
- Assist in recruitment and retention of study participants
- Work with local and national teams of students, staff, faculty, and investigators
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Psychology, Kinesiology or other related field
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
- Proficiency in Microsoft office products such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Good writing, organization, and communication skills
- Must be able to travel to research locations, as required
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, a driving record acceptable to our insurance company underwriters and be insured
This position is part time, 30 hours per week on campus at California Polytechnic State University through Cal Poly Corporation.
Cal Poly Corporation provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid sick leave/vacation and holidays. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check, educational and employment verification, and reference check, as required.
AA/EEO/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer